Saturday, May 5, 2007

The Pretender

Its amazing how the sun can make you feel better. Today is one of those fabulous spring days; warm sun and cooling breezes in a canyon in Bel Air off of Sunset Blvd. I am listening to Jackson Browne's, The Pretender, a song
that somehow resonates with me, and perhaps, our son...

I'm going to rent myself a house
In the shade of the freeway
I'm going to pack my lunch in the morning
And go to work each day
And when the evening rolls around
I'll go on home and lay my body down
And when the morning light comes streaming in
I'll get up and do it again
Amen
Say it again
Amen

Funny how we are here, with no real planning or forethought, helping, as best we can, with our son's recovery and struggling to always do the right thing. That's the hardest part, trying to do the right thing, say the right thing and above all trying not to stand in the way of what will help our son grow and mature into adulthood. He is doing well, with some ups and downs, but always moving forward. High school will be finished soon and he is planning to work more hours, before he goes to college. He is still making his lunch, and we have rented this house. I am thankful for the sober friends and support system he has. We are blessed to have him and he is blessed to have others who care about him.


In the pursuit of learning, every day something is acquired.
In the pursuit of Tao, every day something is dropped.
Less and less is done
Until non-action is achieved.
When nothing is done, nothing is left undone.
The world is ruled by letting things take their course.
It cannot be ruled by interfering.


No comments: