Saturday, September 13, 2008

Two Years Sober


Two years of sobriety and continuing with college and working helping teens in a residential rehab; thats amazing. On top of that he has started a business with friends creating music and with the help of a friend's parents is learning the business. I couldn't have hoped for more for him and I am sure he sees no limit to what he can try and succeed at.

My wife and I are out visiting him during this glorious occassion and while I sit back and find myself very pleased with life, I am a bit sad because my son is pursuing his dreams and there does not seem to be time for me. I know that's selfish and it troubles me, but I don't let it get the best of me. My selfishness and the fact that whenever I have visited these last few months there is less and less time we spend together is not really a problem but a sign of having a maturing son. I think back and realize it was the same with my father. When he could spend the time I was rarely available...I was following my dream. Its funny how things turn out this way; like father like son like father like son. It's the Harry Chapin song "Cats in the Cradle"and I also realize in another vein, that the Tao has a passage that strikes a chord within me.


Therefore the Master acts without doing anything
And teaches without saying anything.

Things arise and he lets them come;

Things disappear and he lets them go.

He has but doesn't possess, acts but doesn't expect.

When his work is done, he forgets it.

That is why it lasts forever.
I want to be that Master and in the deepest reaches of my being, perhaps I've always been there.

No comments: